Funeral Grant is paid as reimbursement to a family member who incurred burial expenses (costs) for a deceased NSSF insured person.
- The deceased must have been an active insured person at the time of death
- The deceased must have made at least one contribution to the Fund
- There must be an expense incurred for the burial of an insured person.
- The claim for Funeral Grant must be made within 60 days from the date of death
For the purpose of Funeral Grant, burial expenses include;
- Coffi n for the burial or used to transport the body
- Grave preparation expenses
- Fire wood or oil (for cremation)
- Transport costs to the cemetery within the locality.
- Body Preservation costs.
Reimbursement of funeral cost is made on the basis of actual costs incurred but does not exceed the ceiling set by the Board of Trustee from time to time.
The following are the current ceilings;
After payment of funeral grant the member is also entitled to survivors’ benefit as prescribed in part 2.3 above